We’ve all been glued to our TV’s watching the devastation to lives and landscape after the tornado in Missouri. It’s been equally as amazing to see the resolve and resilience of the victims in their determination to rebuild their lives and their community! They do some things which I think are critical to psychological and physical reconstruction, and which we could all take as important examples for “moving on” after any trauma:
- They grieve their losses together.
- They value what’s most important from the wreckage.
- They celebrate what’s indestructible – the bonds with loved ones.
- They help each other to take the beginning steps of rebuilding.
- They share their stories.
- They ask for help.
Hats off to the people of Missouri for their model of courage, determination, and humanity in this crisis!