Mississippi River RisingWhat a couple of weeks! Osama Bin Laden dead, (finally), Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver divorcing after 25 years of marriage and four kids, and the flooding all along the Mississippi River! It feels like the world has turned upside down at times like this! It can shake up everything we take for granted, like a safe home, and a loving, lasting marriage, and a safe world. It can also create “compassion fatigue”, that numbing that happens around constant catastrophic news, a feeling of dread — (what about Bin Laden’s son on the loose, seeking vengeance, what now?), and “survivor guilt” related to living personally unscathed by devastation. My personal remedy to combat the toxic effects of all this is to:
- Limit exposure to the news!
- Engage in activities and contacts which foster faith in mankind.
- Help others in need, so you feel like you make a difference.
- Breathe deeply, watch your catastrophic thoughts, and redirect to benign ones.
- Practice gratitude mindfulness. Appreciate your health, loved ones, and your freedom!
Trackback from your site.